Who?

My photo
Poetry: I read it, write it, teach it, edit it, review it, publish it; Etc.

Monday, November 9, 2009

Just Back

I just got back from reading at the San Luis Obispo Poetry Festival last night. What a treat. First California reading for Juanita-as-a-book, and cool to be back in the town where I first attended college as a bright-eyed 17 yr old. Yes, crop science was my major and I was going to get back to the land and set my soul free. Somehow. Too bad I wasn't interested in science. But I took beekeeping, soil science, and row crops, learned some interesting vocabulary including apical meristem and friable. I learned when to shoot the nitrogen and the various cultivation shoes used for planting and weeding. Beta vulgaris is the latin name for sugar beet. In the 70's they had no use for organics.

So I earned C's, got A's in Spanish and Music Theory and Harmony and Life Drawing. Duh. I think I did okay in beekeeping.

The drive down 101 was amazing. If you have the chance to take it this week, do. The landscape is an unfolding miracle, ablaze with the vineyards turning colors now that the grapes are in.

It was such a pleasure to be included in the festival. Many thanks to Kevin Patrick Sullivan, most excellent and animated poetry series host. I was impressed by the SLO poetry community, its audience and its readers. Good times. Also thanks to George and Alyn Burns whose gracious hospitality and friendship made the trip.

It's about 5:30pm now, the sky already dark, fall winding down.

2 comments:

  1. so proud of you, mamma!!

    and i like how you didn't mention the part about leaving SLO by being whisked away by some bearded-nutter in a self-made "camper" on the back of his truck...aahh, youth. and 30-some-odd years of marriage =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You rock, poet-lady!!

    Peter Bray, Benicia, CA
    http://taprootandaniseweed.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete